Tuesday, October 08, 2013

In Memoriam: Adella Vincenti, 1925 - 2013

Today is one of those now-rare days when I am literally “between the ‘Burgh and the city.”  I am typing this aboard Amtrak’s “Pennsylvanian.”  We left Downtown Pittsburgh at 7:30 a.m. and should arrive at New York’s Penn Station by 4:30 p.m.  It’s been a beautiful ride with the sun shining and many trees along the route showing their fall colors.

I was in Western Pennsylvania since Saturday for the funeral service and burial of my great-great aunt, Adella Vincenti, who passed away earlier last week at the age of 88 in her home in Burgettstown, PA.

Aunt Della, the window of my Uncle Remo, was a kind and good-hearted woman.  I will long remember her distinctive voice and belief in perseverance.  (When faced with challenging news, Aunt Della would often say with a sense of optimism, “Hey, what are you doing to do?”)

Before the steady and I got married in June, Aunt Della sent us a very nice card and wedding gift.  I’m ashamed that, due to our procrastination, she never saw a thank-you note from us.  It’s a lesson learned on my part.  I hope that, from a vantage point in heaven, Aunt Della knows how much I appreciated her gift and all of her acts of kindness.

May she rest in peace.

No comments: