Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thomas Merton's Voice

Andrew Sullivan yesterday brought attention to a series of YouTube clips in which you can hear recordings of Thomas Merton teaching the novices at the Trappist Abbey of Gethsemane in Kentucky. Like Sully, I have read Merton's works but this was the first time I ever heard his voice. It was quite different from what I expected. It was deeper and had more confidence than I had imagined.

In the clips, Merton lectures on the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas on "The Ways of God." His observations are solid, often profound and sometimes humorous.

To quote Sully, "I know you probably don't have time today but if you are curious about what an open, beautiful faith Christianity can be, do yourself a favor" and listen below:











Sully also had a follow-up post yesterday with an interesting e-mail from a reader.

1 comment:

Journeys2008 said...

Hey! Thanks so much for bringing some attention to these Thomas Merton videos I posted! I've been busy with Holy Week and this first part of the Easter season that when I check my YouTube channel--'Journeys2008'--I was surprised to see my Merton videos with 3,800 views! Quite a jump from less than 200 just a week ago.

I was amazed that Andrew Sullivan found these videos and put them on his blog. I've seen Sullivan on 'Real Time with Bill Maher' and on the cable TV news shows. I must confess that I don't share his political views, but it is still quite amazing to have someone sort of famous find your YouTube channel!

Anyway, I'll try to contact Mr. Sullivan and thank him for featuring this videos, too.

Peace,

Chad, a.k.a 'Journeys2008'