Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent 1

Another Advent begins today. Another four-week period of pondering over The Incarnation.

Today's Gospel reading at Mass, from Matthew 24, includes Jesus' powerful admonition to his disciples:

" ... Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. ... "

What it mean to be "awake" or perhaps "spiritually awake"? How does this happen?

The really hard times in life can knock you awake. We all know that.

The really good times can, too. Myself, I am in a period in which I am intensely aware of my blessings and of how (I think and fervently hope) God has answered my particular prayer to be in a good relationship.

I suppose the challenge is staying spiritually awake in moderate times, on normal days.

How do we keep the rust from building in our relationship with God?

For reflections related to this question and more for the First Sunday of Advent, visit Deacon Greg, Fran, A Concord Pastor, The Anchoress, Mike and City Father.

Flashbacks: First Sundays of Advent 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006.


No comments: