Friday, December 10, 2010

In Memoriam: Dave Snatchko, 1944 - 2010


My dad's oldest brother, Dave Snatchko, passed away yesterday afternoon. He died at age 66 after several years of declining health.

Uncle Dave was the first born child of George Snatchko and Anna Summerville Snatchko. (They had nine children in total -- seven sons and two daughters.)

It's appropriate that when I travel to Western Pennsylvania tomorrow for the viewing and funeral service, I'll fly on USAirways. Uncle Dave worked many years for the airline at the Pittsburgh International Airport.

Uncle Dave also will be remembered for the decades he spent playing softball, notably for his leadership of the "Snatchko Brothers" team in the sport's golden age of the 1970s and '80s. (The photo above illustrates this part of his life.)

Please pray for my Grandma Snatchko and Uncle Dave's wife, children, grandchildren, brothers and sisters in the days ahead. He will be greatly missed.

Viewing and funeral service details can be found here.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Oh Paul, I am so sorry about your Uncle Dave's death. May he rest in peace, I pray that he has fallen deep into the embrace of God.

My prayers for your Grandma and for others in your family, for any and all who loved Dave. I pray for your consolation, healing and peace.

Seeing what you wrote, I recalled that for the first two years that I worked for Nielsen ('86-88), I flew to Pittsburgh every other week on US Airways, US Air back then.

Fran at work

Faith said...

You and your family will be in my prayers. May he rest in peace.