Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Honoring Labor

Yesterday, I was proud to participate in the annual Labor Day Parade that travels from the Hill District to the end of the Boulevard of the Allies in Downtown Pittsburgh. In addition to the celebration of labor, the parade also was a memorial to Mayor Bob O'Connor.

THANK YOU to the members of Local No. 66 of the International Union of Operating Engineers who extended me an invitation to march with them in the parade. Local No. 66 was supportive of my 2004 State House campaign and this year sent a foursome to my golf outing. I'm honored to have their consideration of my candidacy.

Growing up, I learned about unions and their important role in the workplace and our economy from my late grandfather, John Hoag, who was a union steelworker for some 37 years at the J&L (and later LTV) tin mill in Aliquippa.

When I was a senior in high school considering where to attend college, it was my grandparents, John and Dolores Hoag, who made it possible for me to make the more costly pick of New York University. If I am elected to serve the people of the 46th District on November 7, I won't forget how one man's union job helped me to achieve my goals in life.

No comments: