Sunday, June 01, 2008

Continuing Chronicles

Last night, I saw "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian." I thought it was quite good.

This is the second of C.S. Lewis' "Narnia" tales that the Walt Disney Co. and Walden Media have brought to the big screen. The first, "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" (2005), was also a quality film but I enjoyed "Prince Caspian" more. It's my own fault -- this was my first exposure to the "Prince Caspian" story whereas I was already very familiar with the first chronicle and spent that movie thinking of the differences between it and earlier incarnations.

A.O. Scott of The New York Times gave "Prince Caspian" a lukewarm recommendation. He also thinks "it is also in some ways more satisfying" than the first film.

Aslan, the allegorical Christ figure in "Narnia," does not have much screen time in "Prince Caspian." But that may be for the best -- it makes the great lion's triumphant return at the end all the more powerful.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Read the book. It's a quick read and you'll run out and grab the next 5. I describe it as the "Harry Potter of the mid-90s".