Tuesday, May 26, 2020

COVID-19 Diary: Day 74


Dear Old Blog,

In this space, on Day 65, I wrote that one of the Paulist Fathers had been hospitalized in Washington, D.C., with COVID-19.

I am sad to share today that Paulist Fr. Richard Colgan entered eternal life on Monday night, May 25, 2020, at 11:45 p.m.

Fr. Rich, 68, was the first Paulist Father to die of complications from COVID-19.

In my role with the Paulists, one of my duties is to write the missionary society's death announcements and obituaries. 

Having been an obituary writer in my late teens and early 20s at the Observer-Reporter, it's a part of the job that normally comes easily to me.

But, writing Fr. Rich's obituary did not come easily. He was a friend. And the kindest and most gentle of men.

The writing process was helped by this profile video and audio interview with Fr. Rich that my office produced about a year-and-a-half ago:


The too early passing of this wonderful man leaves a void in our world.

Fr. Rich, from what I hope is a new heavenly vantage point, pray for us!

Love,
Paul

No comments: