Thursday, May 28, 2020

COVID-19 Diary: Day 76

Dear Old Blog,

My maternal grandmother, Dolores Vincenti Hoag, entered eternal life on Wednesday night, May 27, at Townview Health and Rehabilitation Center in Canonsburg, PA.

She was 87. Her death followed multiple small strokes (or stroke-like incidents) in the past few weeks. These strokes came after a fall and a broken leg a few months ago. Grandma also had lived with drug-induced Parkinson's disease for at least the past 10 years.

There is no indication her death was related to COVID-19.

When I was growing up, Grandma Hoag was my rock. Everything that I will ever achieve in life is because of the care she showed me as a child and teenager. It was grandma who took me to Church. It was grandma who encouraged (and enabled) me to go to New York University.

Because of COVID-19, Grandma Hoag died without any family or friends at her side. I was blessed to have spoken with her many times over the past few weeks. Our last call was on Monday.

Also mostly due to COVID-19, Grandma Hoag will have no public funeral arrangements. She will be buried Monday without my being present. This breaks my heart. She deserved so much better than this. 

But, many memorial Masses will be celebrated for her.

She was my last living grandparent.

Grandma, thank you for being there for me every day of my life. I will never stop praying that you are in God's warm embrace.

Love,
Paul


P.S. Here are some glimpses from Grandma's life:

















No comments: