Monday, June 01, 2020

COVID-19 Diary: Day 80

Dear Old Blog,

My maternal grandmother, Dolores Vincenti Hoag, was buried today at Robinson Run Cemetery, on the hill east of my hometown of McDonald, PA.

Her two sons decided to not have a viewing or a Funeral Mass for her. 

So, with that, as well as the COVID-19 risk while traveling, Eric and I stayed here in Lake Nona, FL.

I did watch the short prayer service conducted by one of the priests of our hometown parish at the funeral home prior to her burial. The funeral home was kind to provide a livestream of that.

But it broke my heart not to be there for her.

She deserved such a better send-off.

Two notes:

Grandma Hoag was buried on her wedding anniversary. She and my grandfather, John Hoag, were married 67 years ago today on June 1, 1953.

And, for Catholics, today is the Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church. It's a relatively new memorial, having been instituted by Pope Francis in 2018. The name "Dolores" comes from the Spanish phrase for "sorrows of Mary."

Goodbye, Grandma Hoag. I miss you already. I will never forget all that you did for me throughout my life. 

Love,
Paul

No comments: