Friday, October 13, 2006

A Good Debate

THANK YOU to everyone who attended our debate yesterday evening at the Chartiers Township Building. I thought it was an excellent opportunity to hear from my opponent and I on the the important issues of the campaign. Thanks, too, to Jim Jefferson of WJPA for serving as our moderator -- Jim did an excellent job!

Amanda Gillooly, a new staff writer for the Observer-Reporter, had a very balanced article in today's paper about the many topics that were raised in the debate. WJPA Radio also reported on the event.

Also on debates: the new edition of the PA Focus carries a story by Craig Howell on the candidates forum last week at Burgettstown High School.

I would be remiss if I also did not note that the Post-Gazette today issued their endorsement in my race. Some may be surprised that I am linking to the endorsement despite not receiving their nod. However, I was pleased that the P-G editorial board so thoroughly discussed my background and positions on the issues. It certainly says something that it deemed both of the candidates as "promising" and "knowledgeable and energetic" and that their endorsement was "a close call."

It appears the primary reason I lost the P-G endorsement was my pro-life stand on abortion. This position is certainly not something for which I would apologize. While I recognize that we as a society need to do more for women facing unplanned pregnancies, I strongly believe that human life is sacred. I believe that human life must be protected by law from conception until natural death. If I am elected on November 7, I would be an advocate for this consistent-life ethic -- while at the same time working to improve both government and private programs that help women in difficult situations.

No comments: