Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Spirit of Truth

I have been remiss this week in posting the Gospel from Mass for Pentecost Sunday. I attended the 10 a.m. liturgy at the Church of St. Paul the Apostle on Manhattan’s West Side followed by a party to mark the end of the parish’s R.C.I.A. program for the year.

Leaving St. Paul’s, wowed by the sunshine and warm temperatures, I decided to scrap the indoor plans I had for the day. This led to unexpectedly seeing a bit of the Israel Day parade on Fifth Avenue and a beautiful walk around Central Park.

Good for the body and soul – but bad for the prospect of some new posts on the ole’ blog.

So, playing some catch-up:

The First Reading at Sunday Mass contained the story of the Pentecost itself -- the coming of the Holy Spirit 50 days after the Resurrection.

Parishes had two Gospel passages from which to choose for Mass. In one of the passages, Jesus speaks of the coming of the Holy Spirit.

From John Chapters 15 and 16:

Jesus said to his disciples:

"When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

"I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth.

“He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

“Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you."

No comments: