Friday, April 16, 2010

Familiar Places

I ended a two-year-plus relationship this week. But this goodbye was a healthy one -- very healthy, in fact.

Wednesday evening, I had a final workout at the McBurney YMCA on 14th Street near 6th Avenue. The Y had been my gym since a chilly Saturday afternoon in February, 2008, when I decided to do something about a New Year's resolution to shed some pounds.

I had an excellent experience at the Y. Its friendly people, modern facility, clean workout spaces and good equipment were the perfect fit. (I loved the personal TVs in the cardio machines on which I watched every episode of "Family Guy" ever made.)

And, my membership did pay off -- over the past two years, I've lost about 30 pounds.

I even remained a Y member after I moved last year from near 14th Street to Little Italy.

But, as this past winter dragged on, I decided it was time to work out closer to home. There's a new 24-Hour Fitness at Houston and Crosby. I think I have been wooed by its better hours and shiny new-ness.

As I take my leave, I have decided to honor the McBurney YMCA by using a song of farewell for this week's "YouTube clip for a peaceful weekend."

The late great Billie Holiday is in the house with "I'll Be Seeing You." ("YMCA" would have been too obvious.)

Peace:



An aside: Did you know "I'll Be Seeing You" has a rarely-used opening lyric? Megan Mullally does:

1 comment:

Fran said...

I know that Y. From Sept 2006 to Sept 2007 I took a monthly coaching class not too far from there, once a month on Sundays. I always arrived early and would walk around the neighborhood.

24 Hour Fitness reminds me of my LA days.

I was a NYSC person when I lived down that way!

Good for you on the weight loss.