Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Treasure?

On Sunday, I attended the 12:45 p.m. Mass at Old St. Pat's. The day's scripture readings touched on vanity, desire, possessions and wealth accumulation.

The Gospel passage, which I posted in 2007, was from Luke Chapter 12. It included these verses:

“Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.”

"‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves but are not rich in what matters to God.”


When I read or hear this verse, I usually content myself with the smug thought that I live a fairly simple life and don't have much in the way of earthly treasure.

Then I remember my 401k retirement account. There's not a lot there. But, does God see it as "stored up treasure"? It certainly would be to someone sleeping on the street.

I don't know the answer to this question. But, it's something we should think about.

For more reflections on Sunday's scriptures, pay a visit to Fran, Mike, Fr. Mulcahy, Fr. Richard, Fr. Tito, Fr. Jboy and Bishop Gumbleton.

The photo above can be found in a few places on the Internet, including here. My apologies to the creator for not giving proper credit.

No comments: