Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Vote Aqui


This morning at about 8:10 a.m., I cast my first ballot as a New York City voter -- a voter of the 57th Election District in Manhattan to be precise.

It was my first time voting here in Gotham. Even during my years at NYU in the '90s, I voted by absentee ballot back in Washington County, Pennsylvania.

To say my experience this morning was uneventful would be an understatement. There were no contested races on the ballot (!) and one minor ballot question about transferring land for a municipal water project. The two races on the ballot were judicial races with exactly the number of candidates for positions to be elected.

I was the only voter present during my entire time at the polling place in the basement of Coral Towers, a new (to me) NYU dorm on 3rd Ave between 14th and 15th streets. The sign above was like those used by the New York City Board of Elections to guide voters to that basement.

I have to concede that my inner politician had something of a yearning today to be outside a poll speaking with voters -- the first General Election since 2001 that I was not doing so.

No comments: