Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Bear the Remnant


Today was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Christian season of Lent -- the 40 days of spiritual preparation prior to the commemoration (in the liturgical calendar) of the Jesus' Last Supper, Death and Resurrection.

Over at The Deacon's Bench, Deacon Greg Kandra has posted his excellent Ash Wednesday homily. A snip:

Ash Wednesday is, ultimately, all about loss. Losing part of ourselves for God. The part that’s hard, or selfish, or petty. We want to burn it off, and bear the remnant, to show the world our desire to change.

This year, as my way to observe Lent, I am doing two things. First, I am going to attempt to go to daily Mass. Second, I am giving up bagels and cream cheese -- a big part of the morning reverse commute here in NYC.

Pray for me.

No comments: