Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oilman

Over the weekend, in that pursuit to see more of the Academy Award-nominated movies prior to Sunday evening, I also checked out "There Will Be Blood."

It's the story of a man and his young son during an oil strike in a remote area of California at the turn of the last century. (A hypocrite preacher-man is thrown in, too.)

I think Daniel Day Lewis (in the lead role of oilman Daniel Plainview) earned his Oscar.

His performance was the strongest part of the film, which was interesting and well-executed -- but I wouldn't rush to see it again.

"There Will Be Blood" was the creation of director Paul Thomas Anderson.


I don't think this is the work for which Anderson will be remembered. My hunch is that will be his 1997 film "Boogie Nights," which was more human and compelling.

1 comment:

Kyle Cupp said...

I particularly liked Anderson's "Magnolia." Atonement is a common theme in his films, except Blood, which deals with sin in a different, more hell-bent, way.