Monday, September 29, 2008

5769

Sundown this evening, September 29, marked the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, the New Year celebration for the Jewish people. Year 5769 to be precise.

Rosh Hashanah is for Jews the beginning of a special 10-day period (called the "days of awe" or "days of repentance") that will end on October 8 with Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.

I pray that this will be a blessed time of meaningful prayer and spiritual growth for all those marking the days.

On this Rosh Hashanah that also was a day of unrest for our nation's economy, perhaps it would be appropriate to pray together some of the verses from Psalm 25:

Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
and your love are from of old.
The sins of my youth and my frailties remember not;
in your kindness remember me,
because of your goodness, O LORD.

Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
and teaches the humble his way.

An aside: In the spirit of inter-religious understanding, I also should note that tomorrow is the final day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan for 2008.

The photo above is from here.

No comments: