Friday, September 26, 2008

The Guv & Father Mychal

Governor Sarah Palin met many people during her visit to New York this week. Yesterday, she got to know Father Mychal Judge, OFM.

NY Daily News columnist Michael Daly facilitated the meeting:

... My hosts suggested it would be fitting for me to give her a book, and there I was, a liberal puke of a columnist, faced with writing an inscription for Sarah Palin.

I thought of Mychal, who had bridged all differences. I recalled that Sen. Hillary Clinton, former Mayor Dave Dinkins and former Mayor Rudy Giuliani had all welled up while talking to me of their fallen friend. I now wrote in the title page what I felt sure to be true.

"For Governor Palin, who would have loved Mychal."

I was introduced to her and I handed her the book, not entirely sure she knew who Mychal was. I opened the book to what some have called the modern Pieta. Her eyes welled again as she gazed at the photo of the anguished first responders carrying him from the fiery ruins.

Ielpi presented Palin with another holy card he carries, one with a photo of Mychal on the front and a prayer he composed on the back. She placed the card inside the book and closed it, a woman who had come out of seeming nowhere, delightful to some, terrifying to others.

"Mychal always said, 'If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans for tomorrow,'" I told her, adding, "I guess a lot of people in this country have been feeling that way lately."

Palin stepped over to sign the visitor's log.

"From your 49th state.... We will never forget....
Governor Sarah Palin, ALASKA"


The NYT has coverage, too.

I hope Governor Palin learns Father Mychal's prayer:

Lord, take me where you want me to go;
Let me meet who you want me to meet;
Tell me what you want me to say, and
Keep me out of your way.

No comments: