Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Faithful Departed

For Catholics, today (November 2) is the "Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed" or "All Souls Day." The day falls on a Sunday in 2008 so it trumps what would normally today be a "Sunday in Ordinary Time."

Today, there are a few different passages which may be chosen for the readings at Mass. The Gospel below is one of those options.


Jesus said to the crowds:

“Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.”

The image above is "Lost and Found" by Ira Thomas, who I found through A Concord Pastor.

No comments: