Friday, July 04, 2008

DanceSport

So, while I am missing the festivities back in my old Western PA stomping grounds, tonight was eventful here in NYC.

Maria T. Shapiro Brown, another old friend from the NYU Newman Club, was in town Thursday competing in the Manhattan DanceSport Championships. They are being held this week at the "Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge" in Downtown Brooklyn.

I had the chance to watch Maria and her dancing partner, Jonathan, compete in a pro/am round that included four Latin dances (cha cha, samba, rumba and jive). They were awesome.

In 2003, Maria (a graduate of NYU's Tisch School of the Arts), and her husband, Dave, opened Paper Moon Dance Center in Merrimack, New Hampshire.

I haven't had the chance to visit yet but, from all I hear and see on its Website, it seems to be an amazing place.

No comments: