Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In Memoriam: Bob Clark, 1926 - 2008

I received word yesterday of the death last week of Bob Clark, another one of the great old-timers from my hometown of McDonald, PA. He was 81.

Bob was one of two brothers who operated Clark's Barber Shop for half a century on South McDonald Street. Bob was a kind and soft-spoken man known for giving short haircuts. His brother, Harry, would leave it a little longer.

Their shop was a friendly place where men of all ages talked about golf, hunting, fishing and current events both local and national.

I went to Clark's for haircuts from the time I was a kid through my college years. My late grandfather, John Hoag, went there, too.

Clark's is closed now. It is my understanding that the new barber who took over the shop has moved to another location in town. The shop is now just another empty storefront (at least it was the last time I drove by in June).

End of an era.

No comments: