Friday, February 27, 2009

Braddock, PA, on Colbert

I'm in Anaheim, CA, through Sunday for the L.A. Religious Education Congress. It's the third year that I've been here exhibiting with some folks from my gig.

Yesterday, on the JetBlue flight west, I had the chance to watch Stephen Colbert's interview with Mayor John Fetterman of Braddock, PA, a depressed steel town outside of the 'burgh.

Check it out:



The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c




I'm impressed. Mayor Fetterman seems to be the kind of dynamic young leader with drive and creativity that's much in need in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

I've only been to Braddock once, I think. When I worked for the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission, we visited the Carnegie Library of Braddock with guests from the Carnegiestiftelsen of Sweden. Braddock's library was the first Carnegie Library in the United States.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He spoke at my school's graduation last year. He brought his Harvard diploma in a garbage bag and pulled it out on stage to illustrate how it doesn't matter where you go to school, it is what you do with your life that matters.

He was really inspirational!