Thursday, June 07, 2007

Below the Surface

I was home in Pittsburgh this past weekend. Saturday evening, we had the chance to catch "Knocked Up" at the inexpensive movie theater next to the old Washington Mall.

I know some folks might not appreciate the movie's vulgarity, profanity, nudity and depictions of pre-marital sex and drug use.

But, I have to say, I enjoyed it. And, not far below the surface, director Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up" really has a conservative message. It was certainly pro-life and pro-marriage.

Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl were excellent in the lead roles. Leslie Mann also has a good scene in which she interacts with a club bouncer in one of the more unexpected and refreshing bits of dialogue heard in recent films.

I would compare "Knocked Up" to Kevin Smith's "Dogma." In both movies, if you look deeper than the off-color humor, you find Generation X's underlying respect for human life and a genuine desire for commitment and stability.

No comments: