Sunday, July 06, 2008

Find Rest

This weekend, it's my honor to be giving the annual mission appeal at the Masses at St. Benedict Joseph Labre Church in the Richmond Hill neighborhood of Queens. The mission I'm appealing for is the International Movement of Catholic Students.

I had never been to Richmond Hill before. It's a last stop (Lefferts Blvd.) on the NYC Subway's A train. It's a very diverse neighborhood, notably home to many Sikhs.

According to its acting pastor, Fr. Thomas Gilbert, the Catholic parish in Richmond Hill is the only one in the country under the patronage of St. Benedict Joseph Labre (pictured above). He was a French mendicant who lived from 1748 to 1783.

The Gospel at Mass today is about the nature of the Holy Trinity and the reassurance of life in Christ.

From Matthew Chapter 11:

At that time Jesus exclaimed:

“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to little ones. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

No comments: