Saturday, October 04, 2008

Debate Watch

Speaking of Governor Palin, I was pleasantly surprised Thursday evening to get a call from one of the long-time readers of this blog looking for me to be live-blogging on the vice presidential debate.

Unfortunately for the blog -- but fortunately for my sanity and social life -- I watched the VP debate at a debate watch party, one of several held in Manhattan that night.

My overall impression? First of all, it was great television -- much more engaging and lively than the first presidential debate.

And, while I wish Governor Palin had not skipped a number of questions posed to her, I thought she came off fairly well. She seemed strong and determined. As Peggy Noonan said yesterday in her Wall Street Journal column, "There were moments when she seemed to be doing an infomercial pitch for charm in politics."

It wasn't a bad night for Senator Joe Biden either. He seemed to be having a good time. I loved his smile when Governor Palin threw zingers his way. It almost looked as if he wanted to congratulate her (in a grandfatherly way) for being in the ring and holding her own.

My friend and fellow NYU Journalism alum Sylvan Solloway captured two of the Manhattan VP debate watch parties on video for the New York Post.

Her report is here.

The photo above is from here.

No comments: