Sunday, December 12, 2010

In Memoriam: Bob Snatchko, 1936 - 2010

On Thursday, the same day my Uncle Dave passed away, one of my great uncles, Bob Snatchko, also died. He was 74 and also had been in poor health for some time.

Uncle Bob was my paternal grandfather's youngest brother. He and his late twin sister Betty were the last of 15 children born to Charles Snatchko and Anna Kargle Snatchko.

Uncle Bob was a good, cheerful man. He brought that joyful attitude to his work as a huckster. At least in the Western Pennsylvania lingo of the last century, a huckster was someone who delivered fresh fruits and vegetables house-to-house. His father had done this kind of work, too.

Uncle Bob had a good number of regular customers who looked forward to his weekly visits. As a kid, I saw him most often when he came each week to my maternal grandmother's home to deliver a brown bag full of tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas and the like.

Please keep Uncle Bob's wife, Rose, his two sons and his four remaining siblings in your prayers. He will be missed.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Paul, I am so sorry to hear of another loss. May Bob rest in peace.