Sunday, November 22, 2009

End of The Cycle

For Catholics and some other Christian traditions, this Sunday is the final Sunday in the liturgical year. On this day, we celebrate the Solemnity of Christ the King. Next week, a new liturgical year begins with the First Sunday of Advent.

So today, this blog marks a milestone. It marks the end of three years of posts on the Sunday Mass readings, most of which included the full text of the Gospel passage.

I began posting on the Mass on the First Sunday of Advent 2006. It was a significant move for the blog that previously had been used to promote my 2006 PA State House race.

Looking back, I can't remember my thought process on expanding into topics of faith and spirituality on the blog. But, I'm certainly glad I did. And, of course, the change came shortly before my professional move from political campaign management to Catholic publishing.

But, since the scripture readings at Sunday Mass are presented in a three-year cycle, I have decided that now is a good time to end my weekly feature with the text of the Sunday Gospel -- mostly because I'm afraid I might begin to repeat myself.

It's quite likely I will still post an entry on many Sundays about that day in the liturgical year or about something I saw or heard at Mass. I'm just going to mix it up.

This Sunday's Gospel at Mass is certainly a good one with which to conclude the series. In the passage from the Gospel of John, Jesus talks about the nature of his Kingdom and why he came into the world.

From John Chapter 18:

Pilate said to Jesus, "Are you the King of the Jews?"

Jesus answered, "Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?"

Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?"

Jesus answered, "My kingdom does not belong to this world. If my kingdom did belong to this world, my attendants would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not here."

So Pilate said to him, "Then you are a king?"

Jesus answered, "You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."


A Concord Pastor has posted a good homily for today's solemnity as well as several versions of the hymn "Crown Him With Many Crowns."

As part of this concluding weekly feature, it has been my honor to recommend several other bloggers who comment on the Sunday Gospels. In addition to the good pastor from the Bay State, these fellows have most often included Deacon Greg, Fran and Mike. Please be sure to keep them in your favorites list.

The image above is from here.

No comments: