Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why Sully Stays

Why remain a Catholic?

... Maybe I am too weak to leave and be done with it. But in my prayer life, I detect no vocation to do so. In fact, in so far as I can glean a vocation, it is to stay and bear witness, to be a thorn in the side, even if the thorn turns inward so often, and hurts and wounds me too.

I stay because I believe. And I stay because I hope. What I find hard is the third essential part: to love. So I stay away when the anger eclipses that. But the love for this church remains through the anger and despair: the goodness of so many in it, the truth of its sacraments, the knowledge that nothing is perfect and nothing is improved if you are not there to help it.

-- Andrew Sullivan, earlier today.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Paul, thanks for posting this. I really like to read Andrew Sullivan, but don't get to keep up with him due to time. Thank you for directing my attention to his words.